Sometimes a standard baby gate just doesn’t cut it. You need something a little extra special that keeps the chaos in your household to a minimum. Maybe you’ve discovered your little guy is a climber who gives you a near heart attack everytime he reaches the top of the gate and precariously leans over.
Or perhaps you have dogs or cats that get endless entertainment out of leaping over the gate you naively thought could keep them out of your space. With an extra tall safety gate, you can regain your peace of mind and ownership of your household by keeping babies and pets safe in the area you’ve designated for them.
So that you don’t have to research all the different offerings of baby safety gates yourself, we’ve taken the time to research and evaluate the best large-size baby safety gates on the market and compile our findings into accessible reviews to help make your decision quick and painless. All of these gates are tested and certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association (JPMA), so they are made of safe materials and are structurally sound.
The following table provides a quick visual that summarizes our favorite extra tall safety gates, and then below we offer reviews of gates in more detail.
- Top 5 tall baby safety gates
- What you need to know before you purchase a large-size baby safety gate
- Pressure-mounted tall and long safety gates
- The Regalo Easy Step Extra Tall Walk Thru Gate
- The Dreambaby Chelsea Extra Tall and Wide Auto Close Security Gate
- The Munchkin Easy Close XL Metal Gate
- The Summer Infant Multi-Use Deco Extra Tall Walk-Thru Gate
- The Safety 1st Easy Install Extra Tall and Wide Baby Gate with Pressure Mount Fastening
- The “Extra-Tall Easy-Close Gate” by North States
- Regalo Easy Step Extra Tall Arched Decor Walk Thru Baby Gate
- Hardware-mounted extra large safety gates
- Final thoughts
|Product Name||Height||Width||Type of Gate|
|Regalo Easy Step Extra Tall||41 inches||29 to 38.5 inches||Pressure mounted|
|Dreambaby Chelsea Extra Tall and Wide||39.5 inches||38 to 42.5 inches||Pressure mounted with hardware options|
|Munchkin Easy Close XL Metal Gate||36 inches||29.5 to 51.6 inches||Pressure mounted with hardware options|
|Summer Infant Multi Use Deco Extra Tall||36 inches||28.5 to 45 inches||Pressure mounted with hardware options|
|Munchkin Extending XL Tall and Wide||36 inches tall||33 to 56 inches||Hardware Gate|
Before you purchase your baby safety gate, there are a few crucial aspects to take into consideration. First of all, do you need an extra tall baby gate, or will a good quality normal sized one suffice? Extra tall baby gates are great for anyone with babies that are adventurous climbers. You want peace of mind that your toddler won’t topple over the other side as he or she stands on the bottom rung of the gate.
Taller than average baby gates are also a great option for pet owners who have large dogs or leaping cats. You want a gate tall enough to deter your furry friends from invading the spaces of your home that you’d like to keep pet-free.
You should also consider whether you’d like a hardware-mounted gate or a pressure-mounted gate. Often it depends on where you’re planning to install it in your house. Pressure-mounted gates are usually easier to install because they don’t require tools to set up and they don’t damage your walls. Instead of nailing and screwing things into your drywall, pressure-mounted gates expand to fit an opening such as a doorway or hallway, and are secure there without making permanent changes to your house.
However, pressure-mounted gates are not secure enough to use at the top or base of the stairs. This is because if your baby climbs or leans against the gate, there’s a risk that “down will fall baby,” gate and all. This is why hardware-mounted gates are always recommended for higher-risk areas such as the stairs. So, think about where you need to install your baby safety gate, and then choose the type of gate that will fit best in that area and hits all your requirements.
Furthermore, you should measure the space where you plan to put the gate. Most baby safety gates have a reasonable span that fit the average doorway of anywhere between 24 to 36 inches. But of course there are exceptions to everything, and some gates are too wide for narrow spaces, or they don’t include extensions if you have an extra wide doorway.
Some of the gates we’ve reviewed are extra tall but not any wider than standard width, while others are both extra tall and extra wide. Make sure your measure the space you want to close off so that you don’t have a frustrating experience when you try to install your new gate.
This gate is one of our top choices because it’s versatile. At 41 inches tall, it really is extra tall, and it also includes a 6 inch extension kit to fill a space larger than the standard 37.5 inches. It’s pressure-mounted, making it easy to install and gentle on your walls. It’s also made completely of steel, so you know it’s durable. The door only swings one way, which can be frustrating, and because it’s a pressure-mounted gate you have to watch out for the threshold bar along the bottom, which could be a tripping hazard.
- Stands 41 inches tall and spans 29 to 38.5 inches wide
- Includes a 6 inch extension kit for wider spaces
- Made completely of sturdy and durable steel
- Easy installation with no tools required, gentle on walls
We don’t like:
- Door only swings in one direction
- Bottom threshold could be a tripping hazard
This gate is also a sturdy and reliable option for added height, standing at 39.5 inches tall. Installation is simple and doesn’t require tools or cause damage to your walls. This gate also has some handy extra features. For example, it automatically closes for you but you can also activate the Smart Stay-Open feature for when you don’t need the gate such as when you have company over or when you’re passing through frequently.
One downside of this gate is that it only fits a limited number of spaces, spanning 38 to 42.5 inches wide. If your opening is narrower than 38 inches, you’re out of luck, although you can purchase extensions separately for spaces wider than 42.5 inches. The gate has a double-locking feature to make sure your baby can’t get through, and it has an EZY check indicator on the lock that will show red to let you know if it’s not closed properly. It also includes optional hardware mounts for use at the top of the stairs.
- Stands 39.5 inches tall
- Simple installation, doesn’t require tools or damage walls
- Automatically closes after you, but can also stay open with Smart Stay-Open feature
- Has an EZY check indicator to notify you if gate is not locked properly
- Can function as both a pressure-mounted and hardware gate
We don’t like:
- Only spans 38 to 42.5 inches wide, and extensions must be purchased separately
This is just what you need if you’re looking for a tall and a long extendable gate. While standing reasonably tall at 36 inches, this gate boasts an impressive 29.5 to 51.6 inch wide span. It includes 2.75, 5.5, and 11 inch wide extensions, with more sizes available for purchase. It’s a pressure-mounted baby gate with hardware options to secure it more safely to your wall if you want to use it at the top of the stairs. It’s made of strong steel and has a dual-locking system, which is difficult for a child to operate, but easy for adults, and it closes with a simple push.
It also contains an optional third lock at the bottom of the gate, which means you can decide which way the gate opens, and you can lock it open or shut. One negative aspect is that assembling the gate can be tricky, as the instructions are a series of diagrams with poor directions. Others who have had trouble assembling the gate have suggested watching youtube videos to help. The doorway is a nice comfortable width of 22 inches wide.
- This gate is tall at 36 inches, and has an extra long span from 29.5 to 51.6 inches with all extensions included
- Can function as both a pressure-mounted and a hardware-mounted gate
- Made of strong and durable steel
- Door opens in either direction and can be locked open or closed
We don’t like:
- Installation is difficult with complicated directions
- Because it’s meant to be a pressure-mounted gate, it contains a bottom threshold that could be a tripping hazard, especially if used at the top of the stairs
This is a popular and worthy choice for anyone looking to purchase a stylish and tall baby gate. It’s not the tallest gate we reviewed, but is still quite tall at 36 inches. It spans 28.5 to 45 inches and can be installed as either a pressure mounted or a hardware mounted gate. The door closes automatically, and you can choose whether you want it to swing open both ways or just in one direction. It has won the Moms’ Picks Award from Baby Center for Best Looks & Best Ease of Use. It’s sturdy, stylish, comes in bronze or beige, and has a secure dual-locking handle.
- Stands at 36 inches tall and spans 28.5 to 45 inches wide
- Can function as either a pressure mounted or a hardware gate
- Door closes automatically behind you and you can choose which direction you’d prefer it to swing
- Stylish, sturdy, and easy to operate with one hand
We don’t like:
- Bottom threshold could be a tripping hazard, especially dangerous if installed at the top of the stairs
This is a standard tall baby gate for use between rooms, in hallways, or doorways. It’s simple to install without requiring tools, hardware, or damage to your walls. At 36 inches tall, it’s reasonably tall but not the tallest on the market. However, it does boast a nice span of 29 to 47 inches wide. It also includes a handy SecureTech pressure indicator, which is a green or red light which lets you know quickly whether the gate needs adjustment to keep the lock secure.
- Stands at 36 inches tall and spans 29 to 47 inches wide
- Easy installation without the use of tools or damage to walls
- Contains a red and green light to notify you if the gate needs to be adjusted to maintain security
- Is very sturdy even with the extensions attached because of the gate’s clever design
We don’t like:
- The bottom threshold presents a tripping hazard
This is a great, stylish, and sturdy steel gate with a triple-locking system. The gate swings in both directions and can be locked in the open position. It spans only 28 to 31.5 inches but includes two extensions, making it reach 38.5 inches wide. It also will foil your daring little climber’s plans with a height 36 inches tall. It’s a pressure-mounted gate, so installation is straightforward, but the bottom threshold presents a tripping hazard. The gate is easy to operate with one hand and closes with a gentle push, so you don’t have to bother with the handle and lock for both opening and closing it.
- Is 36 inches tall and with the included extensions it can span 28 to 38.5 inches wide
- Secure triple locking system is easy to operate with one hand
- Gate can swing in both directions and can also be locked in the open position
- Made of strong steel with a classy bronze finish
We don’t like:
- Pressure mounted gate means that the bottom threshold could be a tripping hazard
This is a stylish pressure-mounted gate with a nice neutral bronze finish. It stands at 36 inches tall, making it a formidable barrier to your jumping pet. The door opens conveniently in both directions. Installation is also easy, requires no tools, and causes no damage or lasting impact on your walls. This gate includes a 6 inch wide extension kit, making it reach a span between 29 to 37 inches wide.
- Stands 36 inches tall and includes an extension kit that widens the span from 29 to 37 inches
- Is both stylish and sturdy, with an arch and a nice bronze finish
- The door swings in both directions
- No tools or hardware are required, and installation is easy
We don’t like:
- The bottom threshold could present a tripping hazard
This is a durable and affordable hardware gate, standing at 36 inches tall. It’s a great option to install at the top or the foot of the stairs, especially because it presents no tripping hazard in the form of a bottom threshold. The gate’s material is strong, high quality steel. The door opens in both directions, or just one direction if you’re using it by the stairs. It extends between 33-56 inches wide. One cool feature is the quick release detachable gate, which means you can pop the gate out if company is over and you want it out of the way. Installation is a little difficult, but once it’s set up the gate is very sturdy, and even the plastic hinges are good quality.
- Stands 36 inches tall and spans 33 to 56 inches wide
- Is made of strong steel and even plastic hinges are good quality
- Can be safely installed at the top or bottom of the stairs
- No bottom threshold, so there is little risk of tripping
- The gate can open in either direction, or you can choose one direction if you’re using it by the stairs
- Despite having to drill into your walls, the tilting hinge mechanism places less stress on your walls than other hardware gates
- The gate is easy to detach if you want to quickly remove it for convenience
This is a nice gate if you want an extra tall baby gate made out of stylish wood. It’s hardware-mounted, so it’s safe and secure to use at the top of the stairs. The door swings both ways, but can be stopped from swinging out over the stairs. Installation is a little tricky, and many people find the latch difficult to operate.
While the gate is meant to be easy for adults to open with one hand, many people struggle to open and close it with the ease we look for in a gate. And unfortunately, although the wood is stylish, the bars are thin and somewhat flimsy. While it is labelled as “extra tall,” it’s really only 32 inches tall, although you could mount it a couple of inches off of the ground to give it extra height, because it doesn’t have a bottom threshold. It spans 30 to 48 inches.
- Spans a nice width of 30 to 48 inches
- Stylish wood design
- Hardware-mounted, meaning it’s sturdier than pressure-mounted gates
- No bottom threshold, so there is limited risk of tripping
- The door swings in both directions, but can be stopped from swinging out over the stairs
We don’t like:
- Although it’s labeled as “extra tall” it’s really only 32 inches tall
- The latch is difficult to use with one hand
- The wooden bars are somewhat flimsy
Hopefully you found our reviews informative and useful! Our goal is to help you narrow down your searching for the best extra tall safety gate that works for your household, so that you have the time and a happy disposition to spend on the things you love rather than on time-consuming purchasing decisions. We’re glad to have helped make your decision a little easier.